1.15.2013

Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Hopeless by Colleen Hoover
Goodreads 
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

Review:

How to even begin writing a review for this book? I'm not sure but I'm going to try.
It's really hard because the best parts of the book are the ones I can't talk about because I don't want to spoil anything!  What fun would that be for you?  I want you to experience what I got to while reading through this book.
Therefore if this review seems lame or inadequate, I apologize.  It's not for lack of trying but for not being able to tell you much.

The Cover:
I just had to put a short note in about the cover.  I thought it was AMAZING before I read the book and now that I know what all the elements mean, it is just spectacular!  Sarah Hansen did an amazing job, as always.

The Plot:
I loved the pace of things being revealed.  The whole time I was reading it I was waiting for that HUGE twist that everyone was talking about.  I was definitely looking out for it more than I would've if I didn't know it was there so I picked up on a few things.  BUT I totally didn't guess the major surprise.  It was awesome riding the discovery journey with Skye as she finds out about her past.

The Characters:
Breckin was an amazing supporting character.  I seriously wanted to take him as my own GBF! Completely awesome and supportive and a constant for Sky.
Sky was an extremely strong character.  She goes through a lot but holds herself together.  One of my favorite things about her that I can tell you is her indifference.  I loved the parts where kids were pulling pranks on her at school and she just went on with life. She didn't give them the time of day and that in itself shows how strong she is.
Holder.  Ummm how do I talk about him.  He's just perfect for Sky.  Definitely not a perfect person- he makes mistakes and throws some tantrums but he has way more positive attributes.  He definitely has the bad boy appearance with the soft inside going for him.  I like how Sky describes him in the book- passionate.  That's the perfect word for him.

The Relationship:
It was so incredibly sweet.  They definitely had their bumps but they were able to stick it out.  I loved the sarcastic remarks throughout.  They made me LOL occasionally. (yes, I just put LOL in a review)  They both go through trauma that no one should ever have to experience but they help each other through it.  They are there for each other when the other is ready to let down the barrier and just cry it out.  Also I'm going to have to try the Dinner Quest game out.  It sounds like fun :)

Overall, I loved this book.  I really can't think of anything that I didn't enjoy about it.  You should definitely read it if this is your thing but be prepared there is some emotional heaviness and tissues might be needed!

I know many of you have read Hopeless.  What did you think?
If you haven't read it, is it on your TBR? What's stopping you?

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book :) The book club i run on Goodreads is currently discussing it - New Adult book club

    Laura @Bookish Treasures blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I will definitely have to join that group! I love New Adult.

      Delete
  2. This sounds awesome. I love when supporting characters are well written and a sweet romance to top it off.

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Do you know if they make any plugins to safeguard against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard
    on. Any tips?

    My website; Storage Dayton

    ReplyDelete